If you have read my previous posts, you probably know I have a strong bias about Disney’s Fort Wilderness cabins. They are our family’s favorite place to stay, hands down. One of the perks to staying there is that you are already at the location of Mickey’s Backyard BBQ! However, even if you are not staying at Fort Wilderness, it’s easy enough to get there, and you should… and here’s why….
What is it?
Mickey’s Backyard BBQ is located at Fort Wilderness. If you aren’t staying there, an easy way to get there is by going to the Magic Kingdom and taking a ferry to Fort Wilderness.
The theme of Fort Wilderness is pioneer life on the American Frontier. When you get off the ferry, you will walk down a path past log buildings and a horse drawn carriage path. This sets the stage for the evening. The BBQ is held under an outdoor pavilion. As the evening starts you are seated at long picnic style tables surrounding a dance floor and stage. The food is buffet style and all you can eat.
Fun and Festivities
- Character Meet and Greet- This is an epic place to meet Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Chip and Dale. For one thing, they don’t JUST sign autographs. They get out on the dance floor and dance with your kids! It is so adorable. They also have designated times where you can get pictures and autographs as well.
- Country Music Band- The lead singers and band members make this bbq a real party! Their fun personalities and energetic songs encourage the kids to get out on the dance floor and dance like no one is watching. Lol They play songs we all know, including a couple Disney Favorites.
- Trick Roper- One of the highlights, in our opinion, is the Trick Roping Cowboy! In true Disney fashion, he has proven himself as a professional and has won national titles in trick roping (I didn’t even know this was a thing… but it is… and it’s awesome). All the children sit around the dance floor while he performs different tricks. Just spinning the rope is impressive to me, but this guy can do multiple ropes at a time, jump through them and many other tricks! You will be amazed lol. My daughter left the barbecue begging for trick roping lessons.
Food and Drinks:
The food there is never a disappointment. Who doesn’t love a good ol’ barbecue? Some of the items we have had the pleasure to try are:
- Pulled Pork BBQ
- Mac and cheese
- Baked beans
- Potato salad
- Corn on the cob
- Pasta salad
We left full and happy! They also include an ice cream dessert 🙂
And… for the adults… your meal includes draft beer or wine! Which, was a huge perk for us 😂
A few notes…
- When you book this restaurant, you have to call Disney. You also pay for the entire meal at the time of booking your reservation. It is worth the price!
- You can order specialty cakes and have them delivered there during dinner.
- There really isn’t bad seats, but closer to the stage is a great idea.
- They only do Mickey’s Backyard BBQ on certain nights because they alternate it between that and HoopDiDo Musical Review. (Which I’ve heard is also great)
- They only allow a certain amount of people in each night, so this restaurant books quickly. Make sure you book early if you want to go.